Wednesday, May 30, 2012

How Ambreen Ali Ruined My Birthday Cake Surprise - A Tragicomedy

The cake that started it all.


Ladies and gentlemen: the story you are about to read is true. The names have not been changed to protect the innocent.

Email to Fahad                                                                                                                         May 9, 2012

I'm planning to make a carrot cake for lubna. (its a surprise!) do you think she would like that?

Reality Check Point                                                                                                               May 13, 2012

Carrot cake is made. Four slices are eaten. A large portion of the cake remains.

Email to Ambreen                                                                                                                  May 13, 2012

You guys have to come help us eat some carrot cake that I made. Please. Thank you.

Email from Ambreen                                                                                                               May 14, 2012

yum, sounds good! we've got plans for the next couple nights, but save us some!

Reality Check Point                                                                                                                 May 15, 2012

I ate the rest of the cake.

Email from Ambreen                                                                                                               May 16, 2012

is there still carrot cake left? maybe i can get some when i drop off CSA tomorrow? :)

Email to Ambreen                                                                                                                    May 16, 2012

There is no carrot cake left :( I gobbled that thing up so hard.

Email from Ambreen                                                                                                               May 16, 2012

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

i wanted carrot cake! :'(

now you'll have to send me the recipe so i can make some. you know, i have collected dozens of carrot cake recipes over the year (because i love it), but i have never, ever actually tried one. 

Photo Break                                                                                                                mid-way through post
Lets get another look at that cake. Safa wanted a piece of that action too.

Facebook Wall Conversation                                                                                                  May 24, 2012
Sumeera: are you coming over tomorrow in the evening? i can throw a carrot cake in the oven in the morning. 

Facebook Wall Conversation                                                                                                  May 25, 2012

Ambreen: Oh yes please. So nonchalant. :) I think we'll drop off the CSA after your yoga class. Does that work?

Reality Checkpoint                                                                                                                   May 24, 2012

Ambreen replied too late. No carrot cake was made.

Facebook Wall Conversation                                                                                                  May 30, 2012

Ambreen: carrot cake. carrot cake. tomorrow?

Sumeera: I think so! I am pretty sure those carrots are still in the fridge! But you have to promise to take a good deal of it home b/c we are leaving. We will leave some for my yoga teacher who will look after the 
place on Friday too!

Gmail Chat with Feraz                                                                                                            May 30, 2012

Feraz: ....12:44 PM Bent and family will be coming too iA  so we can see Safa before the wedding12:46 PM me: ok, cool Feraz: worrrd12:47 PM and I'll get some cupcakes!  yummy in my tummy me: i supposed to make the carrot cake!  do we still have carrots?12:48 PM Feraz: that's OK, I'll get carrot cake cupcakes!   me: hmm ok janoo  i will ask ambreen if that is ok  it won't take long to make12:49 PM i'm just going to make it in a flat plan  not that round way Feraz: OK janee-mund

Real Life Chat with Feraz                                                                                                        May 30, 2012

(I am pulling carrots out of the fridge. I am going to make a carrot cake.)

Feraz: Bump it. I will get the carrot cupcakes. 

Sumeera: But Ambreen really wanted to try a homemade one. I told her I would make it.

Feraz: Let me just get the cupcakes. It will be easier.

Sumeera: This is really easy. It will just take me a few minutes. Do you feel bad because you feel like I am making my own birthday cake?

(Feraz looks at me sheepishly.)

Sumeera: I saw you looking at a carrot cake on the internet yesterday. You can just surprise me with it in Michigan.

Feraz: (Lying badly) No, I just want to get cupcakes.

(I stare at Feraz with a look that threatens to start peeling the carrots.)

Feraz: I already ordered the cake for tomorrow. 

Sumeera: I'm really sorry I ruined your surprise. (I give sympathetic hug to Feraz.) But actually its Ambreen's fault, don't you think? I'm going to go make her feel bad about it on her wall. Actually, I'll go blog about it!

(Today I am grateful that Zeena was able to bring a beautiful new life into the world and was able to post blackberry message us throughout her labor!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...