Monday, April 30, 2012

the danger of s'mores

S'mores have had a great PR campaign. We associate them with camp fires, toasty nights by the fire place and all sorts of warm, fuzzy things. Sterling Cooper couldn't have written a better pitch for them. When I went to the grocery store to get some graham crackers, marshmallows and Hersheys, I wasn't aware of the danger of s'mores. If I had knows, maybe I wouldn't have been so quick to rush to the checkout line. 

When I woke up this morning, I passed the fresh fruit, the toast, the eggs, the cereals and without even thinking, I laid a graham cracker on my plate/ I placed one marshmallow on top of it, two Hershey squares and then another marshmallow. I placed the tower into the microwave and let it go on high power for 15 seconds. I watched the marshmallows start to puff up and when I pulled the plate out, I placed the second graham cracker on top and watched the marshmallow and chocolate ooze out the sides. I took my first bite. Happiness exploded inside of me. 

I went through this routine three more times today.  There was no feeling of coziness, not a fire in sight. Just me standing in my small galley kitchen with the light of the microwave shining on my face.

My supplies are still high but I don't know what I will do when they start to run down. Will I keep feeding this s'mores monster that has found a home inside of me? Will I try to destroy it by eating the delicious mangos I loved just days ago? The worst part is I don't even know what I want. I realize that eating s'mores with each of my meals may not be sustainable but the thought of giving them up feels too unbearable at the moment. Please help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...