Friday, May 18, 2012

traveling for the first time

On my flight to Costa Rica, I sat next to a boy who was in middle school. He was part of a large group of students from New York who were going to Costa Rica for a week to practice their Spanish and learn about the culture.   

It is so amazing to see the excitement of someone so young as they go on their first big adventure. When the plane made its descent, he looked over my shoulder in wonder (I didn't think to give him the window seat. This probably explains some bad karma later). “It is so beautiful,” he says softly. There is no machismo there. There is no need to act cool. I turned to him and in my most serious, Iamreallyoldsoyoushouldlistentome voice, I said, “Make sure that this is only the beginning. If you have to save all your money, if you have to take an year off college, whatever you have to do, make sure you travel. See all the places you can because the world is full of so many amazing things and so many amazing people and so many amazing ideas. And when you travel, you have a key to all those things.”

I hope he listens. I hope that the promise of the world opens to him and those eyes that are full of innocence and wonder always stay that way.

Also, I love this song and video:


(Today I am grateful for a smooth first day in CR.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...